North Perth Local’s major community project in 2018 has been the creation and launch of our North Perth Walk, a trail of 16 sites through North Perth town centre that looks at the early history of the suburb from the turn to the middle of the twentieth century.
Developed with a Town Team Grant from the City of Vincent, development of the trail involved several components:
- Researching the sites of historic interest
- Developing a draft trail
- Liaising with the City of Vincent’s Local History Centre to check historic references and obtain access to images
- Sourcing additional images from resources including the State Library of Western Australia
- Developing the North Perth Walk street signage stickers and promotional postcards
- Creating a new section of our website to house the information about each site, allowing the walk to be followed on mobile devices.
The trail was officially launched at the City of Vincent Local History Awards on 28 August 2018, with a free guided version of the walk held on Saturday 1 September with guest host Tom Di Chiera.
North Perth Walk Subcommittee
This major project was overseen by a North Perth Local subcommittee who volunteered their time and effort to create an evergreen local history resource for the North Perth Town Centre.
- Sarah Gazia (Project Lead and Writer)
- Renee Jefferys (Media and PR)
- Andrew Ryan (Community Liaison)
- Ida Smithwick (Chair North Perth Local)
- Karen Lee
- Pheony Tan
Significant input was also received from Senior Librarian Julie Davison (retired), Place Managers David Doy and Tahnee Bunting, and the City of Vincent’s marketing team.
North Perth Local would like to thank the City of Vincent staff and Mayor Emma Cole for their enthusiastic support of the project.
How to Participate
The North Perth Walk is available to follow as a self-guided walk at any time using the information on our website https://www.northperthlocal.org/walk/ and following the site stickers. Free guided versions of the walk may also be held at future dates, and advertised on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/northperthlocal/